What is a Deacon?
Being a Deacon is a wonderful call to service. Deacons are the "servants" or "caregivers" of the congregation. In this large congregation, people have all kinds of needs - they are recovering from surgery, grieving, lonely, ill, or otherwise in a time where they welcome the ministry of care from our congregation. In a very real way, Deacons are the hands and heart of the Church in our ministry of caring. Serving as a Deacon of the First Presbyterian Church is a privilege and a blessing. It is also an opportunity for spiritual growth and fellowship. As a deacon, you are given the opportunity to know other church members in a deeper way, serving alongside them and growing in your understanding of the burdens people carry and how the church can help.
The ministry of deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion, and sound judgment should be chosen for this ministry. (The PC(USA) Book of Order)
Becoming a Deacon
The congregation through a nomination and election process identifies candidates for the office of Board of Deacons. If you feel called to serve as Deacon for the church, you must be nominated through our yearly nomination process.
During a three-year term, Deacons will have the opportunity to work in more than one area of the church's life so that they may learn and grow in understanding through their service.
Activity and Time Commitments for Deacons
- New deacons will meet in January for training prior to beginning their term of service. This training is usually held in the church for a weekend of activities from Friday evening to Sunday morning.
- 12 Deacons are nominated, ordained and installed by the church members, then trained by staff and current Deacons.
Deacon meetings are held at 7:00 pm on the First Tuesday of the month.
The Deacons at First Presbyterian are charged with ministries of care, witness and service by participating in the following activities that provide one on one contact, prayer, and fellowship:
- Provide support and Christian love by communicating with members regularly to build community, share church information, ascertain needs, and lend support and assistance.
- Organize and host Habitat for Humanity event annually.
- Organize and assist in the care of meals for those members in need due to sickness or family events.
- Serve as usher for weekly services on a rotational basis (duties include, collection of offering, refreshment set up and teardown, bulletin distribution, and cleanup of sanctuary and surrounding areas).
- If asked and available, serve in leadership roles within the Board of Deacons so that the Board can work effectively together and serve the congregation well.
If you have questions or need further information, please contact one of our current deacons.